It is a combination of "costume" and "play." People typically cosplay their favorite characters from TV shows, movies, video games, and/or books. These cosplays are displayed in conventions dedicated to celebrating nerds, geeks, and fans alike -- basically anything like Comic Con.
I was first introduced to the world of cosplay a couple years ago by my friend, Tracie, when I attended my first convention "Anime Banzai" representing classic anime characters from the 90's, Sailor Moon. Thanks to Tracie's magically sewing skills and finding killer steals, we were able to create three main characters: Sailor Moon, Sailor Venus, and Sailor Mini Moon. We actually ended up winning an award on our costume during a contest they have during the convention.
Last year, my life had become insanely busy so I didn't have time to help Tracie with the creation of their cosplays, based off of Five Nights at Freddy's, but I still attended the convention taking pictures, enjoying the time together, and embracing our nerdiness.
This year, Tracie and I are trying new things with our cosplay for this year's convention. We are creating costumes based on a very popular video game, Starcraft. I'll be going as Nova and Tracie will be going as Master Nova. It has been an adventure creating all the foam armor and props to accurately represent those characters.
Here is our progress -- I'm pretty proud.
| Our inspiration: Nova from StarCraft. |
| Nova's Gun! |
| My light-up body suit! |
| The start of my breast plate |
| Shoulder pads! |
| The start of my boots. |
Stay tuned for more progress and a huge shout out to +tracie wamsley!
No comments:
Post a Comment