| PC: L.Mackenzy - Oquirrh Mountain |
The Temple to Me
Recently, I have been asked multiple times about my experience going through the temple and my journey in preparing to enter His holy house. These questions have really gotten me thinking about my experience and what pushed me to the temple. This post will be dedicated to what the temple means to me, my process, and some things I did to prepare in hopes of helping others on their journey into the Lord's house.
What the Temple Means to Me:
The temple has always stood out for me. A beautiful place dedicated to God, shining bright in the dead of night, and always surrounded by God's creations. The building itself is beautiful with amazing details and decorations inside and out. It definitely stands out. It is a place different than the rest of the world...for more than one reason.
Inside the temple are were beautiful, saving, sacred convents are made and learned about. The work of the dead and living are performed allowing anyone, who has accepted the gospel, to participate and received those eternal blessings. Each picture, rug, and chair are specific place months before the temple is even built. This is not just a nice building; this is the Lord's house.
For many years, I was only in the baptistery and loved the peace and beautiful felt there. Each temple is distinctly different but the spirit felt there is same, no matter where in the world you are. The spirit never changes but now, that feeling of peace and love has only grown with receiving my endowment.
Receiving my personal endowment has been a miraculous blessing in my life. The knowledge of being constantly protected and of the decision I made has provided me the greatest comfort. It is almost an indescribable, wonderful feeling knowing that the Lord trusted you to enter His house, to become even closer to Him and your eternal potential. I felt a feeling of security and purpose; like I was right where I need to be.
| PC: L. Mackenzy -- Jordan River |
My Journey:
Have you ever had those nights were your mind is running through all the things you have to do the next time so you can't sleep? That's how I started preparing for the temple. July 26, 2015: I enjoying my Sunday evening at home when the spirit decided that it wasn't going to whisper about the temple anymore. I did not go to bed until early morning because I was too busy finding topics and talks that related to the temple, sending 1 a.m. Facebook messages to friends asking for topics and talks about temples. If spirit felt it could no longer whisper thoughts about the temple to me, I could not ignore them.
The next few weeks felt like school had begun...temple prep school. I began reading, marking and taking personal notes on any Gospel topic that related to bettering me and/or the temple. I even started organizing my notes in my "note"book depending on if it was a quote, personal revelation, or a question. Then I would collect my thoughts and write all those in a separate journal. If you can't tell...I was a little excited about studying thoroughly.
I started to realize why the idea of going through the temple excited me so much, I wanted to constantly be reminded of His love and of my eternal potential. It is no secret that I've struggled with self-worth and self-esteem a lot and the idea that I would have something physically on me at all times to remind me that those negative thoughts or doubts weren't true because the Lord knew who I was, what I could become, and allowed me into His house. This gave me great hope and so I continued with my studying.
The scariest part for me, I still don't know why, was telling my parents that I was preparing about going through the temple...not thinking about it, but preparing for it. My parents handle the new well; they were surprise but instantly gave me support and encouragement with only one rule: they had to be there for my endowment. Then I made an appointment with my family's bishop to see his thoughts on if my purpose for going was good and if I could start taking temple prep.
I got the green light from that bishop about taking the temple prep manual but I wouldn't be able to start the classes until I moved down to Cedar City for school. Until then, I continued on my personal studying of topics and visited the nearby temples very often...even took a couple friends occasionally. I wasn't going to let time take my determination away.
Moving time came once again and I was off to Cedar City to start my new adventure and my temple prep process. Honestly, that is what I was most excited for so naturally that was one of the first college things I did of this new year; find my new bishop and schedule an appointment. I made quick friends with other girls also in the process of going to the temple and couldn't wait until the temple prep classes to start.
Long story short: temple prep classes started in October. I bought the teacher manual and studied the lessons before church, asked a million questions, and continued to spend my free time reading talks or other church books. I even read "Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple" book three times, each time looking for something different. I got the green light from my new bishop, got my fancy temple recommend, bought all my stuff [[For first timers, all temple clothes 50% off, excluding garments]], and then had to wait... Waiting was the worse part.
November 25, 2015 was the day. The day I made more sacred promises with my Heavenly Father and learned more about Him, His plan, and the Gospel. I had the great opportunity to go through the temple with my grandmother (dad's mom) who was visiting from out of state. It was so worth waiting the two week in order for her to be part of my special day. I'm still very grateful for all those who came out that day to support me in my decision. So far, that has been the best day of my life.
| PC: L. Mackenzy -- Oquirrh Mountain |
Topics, Talks, Books:
I've lost count of how many people I asked for topics, talks, or books to help better me and/or for the temple. I was so blessed with so many people willing to help me, I hope this list will help those preparing or wanting to know more about the temple.
Topics:
- Covenants
- Temples
- Faith
- Ordinace
- Peace
- Baptism
- Testimony
- Prayer
- Garments
- Anointing
- Creation
- Robe of Righteousness
Talks:
- Latter-Day Saint, Keep on Trying by Dale G. Renlund
- Why Marriage, Why Family by D. Todd Chistofferson
- Your Heavenly Home a BYU talk
- Blessings of the Temple by Thomas S. Monson
- The Power of Covenant by D. Todd Christofferson
- Receiving Temple Blessings by Richard G. Scott
- General Conference talks are all great
Book:
- Strength and Stillness by Patricia T. Holland
- True to the Faith -- Gospel Reference
- Doctrine and Covenants
- Bible Dictionary
- Book of Abraham
- Book of Moses
- Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple by Boyd K. Packer
- Temple Prep Teacher Manual
If you have any question about my journey or what else I studied, you can email me.
| PC: L.Mackenzy -- St. George |
No comments:
Post a Comment